Sub Tuum Praesidium

We fly to thy patronage, O holy Mother of God; Despise not our petitions in our necessities, but deliver us always from all dangers, O glorious and blessed Virgin. Amen.

Prayer for the Church in a time of great distress


*

Almighty God, we are become a reproach to our neighbours; they despise and make jest of us, rejoicing at our afflictions; and in their mirth they upbraid us. Be mindful, O Lord, of thy holy Church, and leave it not in the hands of thy enemies, but deliver it by thy strong power. Consider the covenant and testament which thou has made with thy elect. Remember thy promise, that thou wouldst not forsake such as were contrite in heart, nor fail to save the humble in spirit. Awake, O Lord; delay no longer, but come to succour thy people; make haste to help thy faithful servants, and save us from the hands of our enemies, we humbly beseech thee, for the sake of thy most glorious name. Mightily deliver us from all things that affright us and keep and defend us from all calamities which assail us. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Our Lady of Walsingham, vouchsafe to obtain for us all the help necessary to avoid the misfortune of committing mortal sin, incompatible with divine grace. Obtain for us the favours we crave and implore through thy powerful intercession, that we may do all such good works as God hast prepared for us to walk in: to defend especially the innocent and to care for thy children most grievously harmed by wicked and deceitful men. Amen.

* adapted from: Evening prayers for Wednesday (A Manual of Prayers, and other Christian Devotions); the Sarum Missal (Secret, from the Mass to turn away pestilence); Novena to St. Therese of Lisieux; and Divine Worship: the Missal.

Psalm 43. Judica me, Deus.
(—from the Prayers at the Foot of the Altar)

Give sentence with me, O God, and defend my cause against the ungodly people; O deliver me from the deceitful and wicked man.
For thou art the God of my strength; why hast thou put me from thee? and why go I so heavily, while the enemy oppresseth me?

O send out thy light and thy truth, that they may lead me, and bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy dwelling.
And that I may go unto the altar of God, even unto the God of my joy and gladness; and upon the harp will I give thanks unto thee, O God, my God.

Why art thou so heavy, O my soul? and why art thou so disquieted within me?
O put thy trust in God; for I will yet give him thanks, which is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit; As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be: world without end. Amen.

Our help is in the [+] Name of the Lord.
Who hath made heaven and earth.

Sancte Michael, defende nos in proelio ut non pereamus in tremendo iudicio.
Saint Michael, defend us in battle that we might not perish at the dreadful judgment.

Comments